All the units are equipped with:
- Kerosene lanterns for light
- Propane heaters for heat
- Wash basin and bucket to take a sponge bath
- Linens (sheets, blankets, pillows and pillowcases)
- Table and chair
- Pegs for backpacks
- Covered porches with rocking chair
Appropriate for a getaway from the high tech world a mile below, there is no electricity. The mellow glow of kerosene lamps lights your accommodations and propane heaters warm the lodges and cabins. Not too long ago an up-to-date privy building with flush toilets was a welcome innovation to the mountaintop retreat, however, there are no showers. Buckets are standard in all lodging for sponge baths (hot water spigot located near dining room entrance) and truthfully, no one is anxious to get wet all over, especially since nighttime temperatures can take a radical dip, even at the height of summer and the daytime temperature has only reached 80 degrees twice (during 2012’s record setting heat wave). The Hudson Bay wool blankets on the beds rate far higher with lodge guests than icy showers ever could!
Special menus (must be requested at least 1 week in advance):
- Supper- substitute egg/plant based loaf for beef and gravy, or black beans if last minute request.
- Breakfast – ubstitute instant oatmeal for scrambled eggs.
- Supper – substitute black beans for beef and gravy.
- Breakfast – substitute GF-specific instant oatmeal for pancakes and biscuit.
- Supper – exclude gravy from beef; exclude cornbread; substitute for GF-specific soup.
- Breakfast – substitute instant oatmeal for pancakes and biscuit, substitute scrambled eggs without dairy.
- Supper – exclude gravy from beef, cornbread, mashed potatoes; substitute for DF-specific soup.
Guests with extensive allergies or dietary restrictions beyond what is listed above should consult our reservations office in advance of their stay to discuss planning options.
You live by the sun on Mount LeConte — early to bed, relaxed by your climb, and early to rise to enjoy a renowned Myrtle Point sunrise. Televisions aren’t missed. For leisure activities, the lodge office provides games. Then there’s always the most popular activity of all; sitting on the deck in rocking chairs, soaking up the view of the mountain tops and distant valleys.
Whether feasting your eyes on a sunset from Cliff Tops, watching a tame boomer squirrel nose around at your feet, enjoying a concert of birds warbling in the bushes or making way for a meandering black bear, your time spent at LeConte Lodge® is natural quality time.